Monday, November 18, 2013

Sugar Spun New York City Lights

Today's prompt for  The Crumpet's 33 Day Challenge is trying something new. I've been wanting to try out the spun sugar technique for a while now, more or less since my stripers started drying out just enough to cause the effect inadvertently. So for this prompt I decided to make the dragging deliberate and pair it with some pin dots. I must say I'm thrilled with the results. I also used a new polish I received in a mystery grab bag from Pretty & Polished called New York City Lights, which I will review for you below.
New York City Lights - This polish is suspended in a clear base and chalked full of shimmering lavender micro glitter and flakies. It's sheer and yet offers the perfect amount of coverage at the same time. Swatches show 3 coat alone (pinky, middle, thumb) and 2 coats over butter LONDON Molly-Coddled (ring and pointer). If you love purple, this polish will grab you quick. I could not stop staring at it and the name definitely suites it. It delicate and daring, feminine and intense all at the same time. I thought I'd like it from the bottle, but fell in love with it once it was on. Also, I decided to hold off swatching the rest of my polishes, because I couldn't bear to take it off right away.
And here it is with OPI Matte Topcoat.
And the nail art you've been waiting for! 
Other polishes used: Sinful Colors Sweet Tooth, & Julep Lynn.
What do you think of the spun sugar technique? I really like it; and I think it looks even better in person. You can purchase Pretty & Polished products on their site, and follow them on Facebook. Please, feel free to  leave me you're feedback or any questions you might have. In addition, let me know if you have any requests/ideas you would like to see. All my polishes are purchased by me (or a gift from a friend, not supplier) unless otherwise stated.