Friday, March 21, 2014

Spring Into Watercolor Flowers

I am really excited about today's post. I have been wanting to do a floral watercolor design for a while and with spring officially here, it seemed like the perfect time. I decided to go for a doodled wallpaper design, which came out just as I had hoped. If you like these nails, please follow my link to vote for them in the Nailpolis Spring Contest by March 31st.
I started with LVX Cashmere, my current go to base color. Then I applied butter LONDON Hardware topcoat; something I like to do before nail art and stamping because it protects my base color and makes cleaning up any mistakes easy.
Next came the fun part, the flowers. For the petals I used OPI A Grape Fit!, Pretty & Polished For Sweater or Worse, & Cult Nails Morning Glory and Nakizzle's Shizzle. Using the watercolor technique of mixing polish and acetone I layered and mixed shades until I got the desired effect I was looking for.
I then did the same thing for the leaves and stems using OPI Here Today...Aragon Tomorrow, and Bondi The Limelight.
I sealed everything off with another layer butter LONDON Hardware.
Now that I'm getting more comfortable with the watercolor technique, I think I shall be using it a lot more. I simply love these nails and I hope you do, too! As always, please feel free to leave any questions or suggestions in the comments. Also, if you like these nails, please vote for me (and any other designs you like) in the Nailpolis Spring Nail Art Contest!