Wednesday, September 17, 2014

There's a Kerfuffle over the Herringbone

Now that my picture editor is working (sort of) again I'm backtracking to day 12 of Chalkboard Nails 31 Day Challenge 2014, stripes. Honestly, I drew a complete blank on this one for days because originally I had wanted to do a floral design underneath stripes as if looking through blinds. However, that's too much of an undertaking to put on and remove when I really want to enjoy such labored over nail art. Finally, I settled on nautical stripes with a twist, because I love everything nautical.
I wanted to start out with a non-white base; so I took to my nail polish stash with that in mind. As soon as I spotted butter LONDON Kerfuffle I knew I had the perfect base color. I applied three thin coats for opacity.
Kerfuffle made me think more along the lines of nautical tees with an accent colored stripe, a concept I love and have never done. So, I decided to start out with my accent lines using a fuchsia shades Stripe Rite.
While applying my line I decided I still wanted more of a twist. I love herringbone; so I figured, "Why not?" I'd strayed away from herringbone since my last application because it didn't quite turn out as I'd hoped. So this time I decided I would eliminate the center line. I used twice pieces of striping tape in place of the center line, so I could easily avoid any mishaps and have a clean finishing point for each stripe once removed.
After finishing my accent color application, I used blue acrylic paint to apply the blue. Once everything was dry I applied a coat of Seche Vite to seal my beautiful nails.
Conclusion: I'm in love. I need to do nautical and herringbone more often! I can't stop staring at them and every person I ran into complimented my nails - I don't need that, but it sure does feel great! Half way through #31DC2014 and I'm semi-hanging in and keeping up. Win.